Saturday, April 14, 2012

Age Gap Relationships

Age Gap Relationships

Relationship Age Gap


People are always wondering what is an acceptable age gap for relationships. Many couples are worried about how their friends and family will perceive their relationship if the age gap between them is too wide. My wife is 10 years younger then me but women tend to mature much faster then men in most cases so I don’t feel the age difference much. I am in my late 30′s now and when I was in my 20′s I dated women my age or maybe a few years younger. Some of the more important things that you should be focused on instead of any age differences is to make sure your motives and goals for your relationship are inline with each other. I didn’t date my wife because she was much younger then me, we had a lot of common interests and connected on an emotional level because of past life experiences.


If you are in your teens still and dating a man or woman much older then you then you just need to make sure that you are not doing it for the wrong reasons. If you are a younger woman and feel that an older man is more mature and gives you more stability in your relationship then there is probably not any problem with this type of relationship. One issue I have seen with relationships where there is a wide age gap is that typically (not all of the time though) the older person is in the mode or mind set to settle down and the younger person wants to go out and still explore. I have seen some of these situations turn into jealous relationships where the older person will try to command all of the time spent together and suffocate their partner and this can be unhealthy if that is not what the other person is wanting in the relationship.


In the end if you are in love with your partner and not their age then you will have a healthy relationship together and shouldn’t worry about any social criticisms that might occur. Hey, if they can do it in Hollywood and make it work with Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes and with Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher which both have a 16 year age gap then your friends and family should accept your relationship too. If you have a unique situation that you would like to share or get advice on post your comments below.


-Brian R.


No comments:

Post a Comment